In the month or so since I announced my intent to run this year's NYC Marathon and raise $2,500 (!) for Think Pink Rocks, here are some of the thing that have happened in the quest.

  • I started running again.  I'm in the pre-training phase of my training, which is to say that I need some time to get used to running again, since I haven't done a lick since the last Warrior Dash.  So far, I've slowly run about 50 miles or so, mostly in 5k outings with a couple 5 milers.  July 1st starts the real deal and kicks of with an 8 miler.  Fun.
  • I love my Garmin Forerunner watch.  Most of you know that I love a gadget and this one helps keep me motivated.  What does one of my neighborhood 5k routes look like, and where along that course do I think about puking?  You tell me.
  • I ran once with Avett in the jogging stroller.  That challenge gave me a whole new respect for people who run with jogging strollers.  I still plan to do this occasionally, but man, that's the real deal when you find a hill or two.
  • I've raised $655 for Team Think Pink as of this post.  At this rate, I might just make my goal and not have to front a whole bunch of money.  Have you had a chance to donate yet?  Yes?  Thank you!  I hope you enjoyed the personal/heartfelt/possibly mildly funny personal thank you, good Karma, and the generally warm and fuzzy feeling about doing something to kick breast cancer in the face.  No?  Well, there's still time, and a lot of ways to help!  You can:
    1. Donate in my name online over at my Crowdrise site.  Easy Peasy.
    2. Hand me some cold, hard cash.  Cash is great, and will be matched so, double money.  Woohoo!
    3. Share my efforts to family and friends that might be able to help, your blog, and/or favorite social media outlet.  Twitter is a fun place to ask famous people (you know, the ones that I envision swimming around in a vault like Scrooge McDuck) to donate, although that hasn't panned out for me.  Yet.
    4. Mark your calendars!  Foothills has donated a beer school event for us to use as a fundraiser on July 11th at 6:00 ($20 gets you a beer lesson, tour, and samples of all their beers), and my running pal/fellow fundraiser and I will be having Wii Bowling tournament on July 28th (details to follow on that).
In non-marathon/fundraising news, Avett is getting to be more mobile.  He commando crawls like he's a flippin' NASCAR driver, and we're working to get him doing a bit of more proper crawling on hands/knees.  He also likes to eat.
Hi Wrigley.

Hi Dad.

Hi squash (and Aunt Diana).